This is an exciting year as students individually plan a vision for their educational and professional futures by researching careers and professions, which reflect their demonstrated leadership skills and personal interests. Through exploring universities and majors, Grade 8 students are able to identify areas of study that can fulfill their leadership vision. The selection of a high school is an integral part of the Grade 8 experience and is supported by the Prep School/High School Information Night where students and parents explore numerous options while speaking with admission officers from participating prep schools and high schools at this St. Mary’s hosted event.
The Legacy Leadership Program is available to give Grade 8 students an opportunity to demonstrate their leadership. Students are invited to submit a resume and application for consideration whereby a panel of independent judges from outside of the St. Mary’s community evaluates each student on their history of community and school involvement as well as their views on leadership as expressed in essays, and their performances in oral interviews. The winner of the Legacy Leadership Award is presented at a Tribute to Leadership school-wide awards assembly and he or she delivers a speech at graduation.
Course offerings for Grade 8 include:
- Individuals and Societies (formerly Humanities)
- Language Acquisition (formerly Language B)
- Language and Literature (formerly Language A)
- Physical Education and Health (formerly Personal and Social Physical Education)
- Sciences (formerly Science)
- Technology Design (formerly Technology)
- The Arts (formerly Visual Arts and Performing Arts respectively)
- Williamsburg, Virginia and Washington D.C. Field Study