The Arts are an integral part of our IB programme as their essence enables each child to discover his or her own individual creativity and uniqueness during the most critical, formative years. An arts education fosters passion to strive for personal excellence within an environment that nurtures successful collaboration.
St. Mary’s students explore visual arts, music, and theatre, with emphasis placed on practical production by the students and exploration of a variety of media in a global context. The arts celebrate multiple perspectives; one lifelong lesson is that there are many ways to see, interpret and appreciate the world.
The objectives of the arts are to encourage and enable students to:
- create and present art
- develop skills specific to the discipline
- engage in a process of creative exploration and (self-) discovery
- make purposeful connections between investigation and practice
- understand the relationship between art and its contexts
- respond to and reflect on art
- deepen their understanding of the world